Canada is the world’s second largest but a less populated country. The country boasts of natural beauty as it is surrounded by numerous forests, lakes, and mountains. A friendly multicultural country and strong economy attract thousands of migrants around the world to live in here permanently. World-class education and easy residentship facility have made Canada one of the most shout-after destinations for overseas education.
Reasons to study in Canada
- One of the best places in the world to live as ranked by the United Nations.
- High national income, longer life expectancy and good quality of life.
- Strong economy and one of the leading manufacturing countries in the world.
- Has welcomed millions immigrants from various regions of the world.
- Education cost is low compares to the costs of USA and Canada.
- Hands-on teaching system and degrees are accepted globally.
- Flexible migration programs for international students.
- Students are allowed to work part-time besides their study.
- Graduates can apply for PR without moving out of the country.
Education system and intakes
After school level, Canadian education system is divided into several categories and duration of programs varies according to its level –
- Certificate level – 1 year
- Diploma level – 1/2 year(s)
- Advanced diploma level – 2/3 years
- Bachelor degrees – 4 years
- Post-graduate diplomas and certificate courses – 1/2 year(s)
- Master’s degree – 1/2 year(s)
- PhD – 4 to 7 years
About intakes: There are generally 2 intakes for University level courses
- Fall Session (September)
- Winter Session (January)
In college level, there are 3 intakes in each year – September, January, and May.
Tuition fee depends on the level of study and subject. Typical range is CAD 6,000 – CAD 40,000 per year. Average monthly living cost is CAD 1000 that includes accommodation, conveyance, food and other. Rent of house depends on location and type of home and house rent makes up the largest portion of the monthly budget.
How to apply and get study permit for Canada
To study in Canada, you have to get ‘Study Permit’ and the permit also serves as ‘Student Visa’ and ‘work permit’. However, you do not need to apply for a study permit if the duration of your desired course is six months or less. It is advice to begin admission procedure at least 9 months before starting date of your course. Here are steps to take to get study permit in Canada.
- The procedure starts from obtaining a standard ‘Letter of Acceptance’ from one of the educations providers of Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) list.
- Collect Application Package from CIC Website. The package includes a set of forms and instruction guide to fill up the forms in the right way. Download the application package.
- Gather necessary documents according to instruction and attach them with the appropriate application form.
- You can submit application papers to your nearest Visa Application Center (VAC) or via online. Online procedure is faster than paper-based application, but applicants of some countries need to attend physically in local visa office toprovide biometric and interview.
- Once you filled up all the forms and gathers all required documents, your final step is to pay visa fee and submit completed application to CIC or visa authority.
Now wait for visa decision and track your application online through ‘Check Application Status’ tool of CIC.