This short program helps students to get the necessary qualification to meet entry requirement of their desired university and course and get admission. The course works like a bridge that fills up the gap between current qualification of a student and entry requirement of a university.
At present, more universities, especially universities in the UK, USA, and Australia, are offering foundation courses to prepare students for universities standard education system and curriculum. Foundation courses are also known as preparation courses and pathway programs.
A student gets following skills from a from a foundation course –
- Academic skill – learns about course content of the desired degree.
- Language skill – Improves English language proficiency
- Study skill – Develops understanding of academic study
- Adoption skill – Learns about cultural differences and how to deal with them.
Entry Requirement for foundation course
Entry requirement varies according to a course, university, and country. Here is a general idea provided in different perspectives.
Minimum score range is 4.5 – 5.0 in Academic IELTS or minimum 60 in TOEFL iBT
- Australia – Completion of 12th year or VCE (The Victorian Certificate of Education) or equivalent
- New Zealand – Completion of 13th year or NCEA Level 2 certification
- The USA – GPA 2.5+ or equivalent
- The UK – GCE, A levels, IB, BTEC Level 3, Extended Diploma, and Cambridge Pre-U Diploma
A list of foundation courses
- International Foundation in Science and Engineering
- Foundation Programme in Business, Economics, Finance and Management,
- University of London International Foundation Programme (IFP)
- University Pathway Program – Hospitality Management
- Certificate III in Business, Preparation Course